I have to tell you guys something. Never in a million years did I think that I would be the kind of chic to make my own toothpaste. Why would I when I can just grab a tube of that bright blue swirly stuff with the sparkles in it at the market? Hey I dig sparkles just as much as the next girl, but the more I read the ingredients on those tubes, the less I care about the sparkles. Toothpaste might not be a product you would even think that you need to read the ingredients of, but manufacturers can cram just as many toxic chemicals into toothpaste as they can into a McDonald’s hamburger. Let’s look at some of the offenders, shall we?
- FD&C blue dye No.2- The CDC and FDA tell us that this dye (which is totally LEGAL in our food) contributes to behavioral and learning disorders, or may cause severe allergic reactions.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate- commonly used as a foaming agent, SLS can cause skin irritation and corrosion.
- Triclosan- an antimicrobial agent (also used in hand sanitizers and soaps) that is a major endocrine disruptor, particularly with regards to thyroid function and estrogen levels.
- Artificial Sweeteners: Think aspartame- known to contribute to nausea, vomiting, migraines, memory loss, seizures, depression, insomnia, cancer and vision changes…to name a few!
- Fluoride: fluoride toxicity is linked to lowered IQ, early puberty, decreased fertility and lowered thyroid function.
Now of course, not all store-bought brands are created equal. Some are definitely better than others. I’ve tried lots of different kinds, but out of all of them, I like the Kiss My Face brand the best! There are still a couple of ingredients that I could do without, but it’s the lesser of evils.
So what I’ve realized in reading and trying all of these different types of toothpastes, is that you really only NEED a couple of ingredients to get those pearly whites clean.
1) Baking Soda- 2 tbsp- used as an abrasive, baking soda is great for removing plaque and stains from coffee, tea, and wine. I like to use aluminum free baking soda like this.
2) Coconut oil- 2 tbsp- the antibacterial properties of coconut oil are great for preventing plaque build-up and tooth decay (and it tastes yummy). This is the kind I use.
3) Activated Charcoal- 1 capsule- okay I know it appears weird that you would use something that’s black to whiten your teeth but it really works! Teeth are porous, and the charcoal binds to the particles in the pores of your teeth and draws them out! I use this kind.
4) Peppermint essential oil- 4-5 drops- I did peppermint because I love nice minty fresh breath, but if you love cinnamon, go ahead and use cinnamon. Check out the oils I use HERE.
*As an optional ingredient, if you need a little sweetener, you can use a bit of stevia or xylitol. I don’t mind the taste of it without so I just leave it. But go ahead and adjust it to your taste.
How do you throw this together?
- If your coconut oil is solid, melt it to a liquid.
- Add in the baking soda and whisk it together until the baking soda dissolves.
- Break open the capsule of charcoal into the mixture of coconut oil and baking soda. Mix it in until the charcoal is incorporated.
- Drop in your peppermint oil (or oil of choice) and sweetener if using, and mix it up.
- Let harden. Use it just as you would use any other toothpaste. It gets a little messy at first, but when you clean up your mouth your teeth will sparkle!
- Store in a glass jar like this one at room temp. Enjoy your healthy white teeth!
Do you have a favorite store-bought brand?
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.