There is something so completely magical to me about a slow-cooker meal. I just love knowing that I can throw a bunch of healthy ingredients into my slow-cooker, set in on low and let it cook away, knowing that nothing will burn! Dinner is done by 8 am, and I get to smell the wonderful goodness all day! And Slow-Cooker Korean-Style Beef Short Ribs DEFINITELY make the house smell amazing!
But slow-cooker magic is nothing new. We all know that a slow-cooker is a busy mom (or dad’s) best friend. But if you’re going to make use of this kitchen necessity as much as I do, you had better find some new and creative recipes! You can’t just make stew everyday (well I guess you could, but that might get a little bit boring). Slow-cookers are fantastic for cuts of meat that might be a bit tougher and will stand up to long cooking times, and not just stand up-but actually get better the longer they cook! Short ribs are a great example the perfect kind of meat to throw in a slow-cooker. They’re super fatty and take a looonng time to get really tender.
By now I don’t need to tell you guys how strong my husband’s affinity toward Asian cuisine is. Anything Asian inspired is a winner winner short rib dinner in my house. The flavors of my Slow-Cooker Korean Style Beef Short ribs are rich, yet clean. Lest you shy away from a Korean-inspired recipe due to fear that you wont be able to find the ingredients, I’ve made sure that all of the ingredients are 100% accessible in you run-of–the-mill middle America supermarket. If I can find them in my local market, you can find them in yours! You can also tailor this recipe to your own personal spicometer (yea that’s right- I said spicometer). In my fam, we LOVE spicy food- even my toddler loves it. But if you can’t handle the spice or your kids don’t like it, just leave it out. I served these short ribs over some basmati rice with cilantro in it. But if you’re off the grains, you can serve it over zucchini or carrot noodles, or even just some sautéed veggies. It’s delish no matter how you serve it! On with it!
- 3 pounds grass fed beef short ribs
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 inch knob of fresh ginger, sliced
- 1/2 cup organic wheat free tamari (soy sauce) or coconut aminos
- 1/2 rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp red pepper flake
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup chopped scallion
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In the bottom of your slow-cooker, mix together the tamari, rice wine vinegar and honey.
- Add the sliced onion, garlic, ginger and red pepper flake to the slow-cooker.
- Season your short ribs with sea salt and pepper.
- Place them in the slow-cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- When the short ribs are cooked, remove the bones and shred the beef. Add it back into the slow-cooker.
- Stir in the sesame oil. Taste and season if necessary. Garnish with chopped scallion. Enjoy!
If you would like more great gluten free slow-cooker recipes, Stephanie Brandt Cornais of Mama and Baby Love has crafted a beautiful cookbook full of slow-cooker freezer meals! I’ve got this book myself and I have made at least half of the recipes. Every single one is delicious! She has a hard copy and an ebook available. If you would like to see more about this book, click HERE.
Want to see what kind of slow-cooker I use? It’s kind of the coolest Slow- Cooker I’ve ever seen. It’s actually a multi-cooker! Check it out HERE.